Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

The World's 50 Most Unusual Churches

Churches, as in buildings, reflect the culture of the people around them. Huffington Post Canada has come up with a collection of 50 of the world's most unusual churches. I enjoyed viewing this most interesting collection, which displays the creative process of artists around the globe who designed these architectural edifices. 
   However, I would have appreciated the rationale behind the choices made in this collection. I notice too that not one Canadian church was chosen - disappointing. I would be curious to know your thoughts on these churches, do you have a favourite? Do you think others should have been chosen? I'd love to read your comments.
   I do find the Ethiopian church carved out of solid rock rather unusual and interesting. I remember reading about these churches some years ago, and think one reason for building them out of rock and in the ground was because Christians in Ethiopia were persecuted at the time.
   You can view the collection here.   

No comments: